Fearrington’s gardeners have been delighting guests to the businesses such as shops, restaurants and spa at Fearrington Village for over 40 years. It’s all one company, run by the same family for over 50 years. Gardeners help keep Fearrington’s roughly 20 acre village center looking exceptional year round. They maintain ornamental garden beds, several cutting gardens, herb garden, heated greenhouse, indoor plants, water features and more. Working with the gardeners is a crew maintenance which handles tasks involving mechanized equipment like mowing and lawn maintenance, irrigation, hedge trimming, tree removal, etc. Shifts are 8 hours per day Monday through Friday, on location in Fearrington Village.
Perform general horticultural duties such as the design, installation and care of garden displays and maintain site cleanliness within his or her assigned area, including mulching, weeding, watering, etc.
Ensure walkways and patios are kept free from plant debris
Perform as needed a department support role, such as maintaining intrastructure and materials sourcing
Operate gardening tools including golf carts, blowers, push carts, and hand tools. Ensure that all applicable safety standards are followed
Help create and maintain displays for events like Halloween and the holidays
Interact daily with guests and visitors
Other tasks as needed
Gardeners must be neat and clean in appearance and wear company-provided “Fearrington Gardens” t-shirts, sweat shirts and jackets. Jeans or other casual wear, and personal accessories, are permissible.
Education and Experience:
- A minimum of 3 years of hands-on work experience in horticulture, i.e. a public garden, plant nursery, private gardening
- Strong knowledge of plant species that thrive in our area, and plant maintenance techniques
- Must enjoy interacting and working in close proximity to general public
- Must adapt to variables that impact work such as our various business hours, weather, presence of Inn guests, events on property, etc. and plan accordingly for safety and productivity
- Ability to perform heavy lifting up to 40 lbs.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- An Associate or B.S. degree, in horticulture or related field, is a plus but not required
This is a full-time, year-round, hourly position. Benefits include health care coverage (medical, dental, vision), company paid long term and short term disability, participation in the company’s 401(k) retirement plan, and employee discounts.
- Salary: Hourly commensurate with experience
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Referral program
- Vision insurance