Fearrington’s gardeners are part of a team that have been delighting guests for over 40 years. Gardeners help keep Fearrington’s roughly 20 acre village center looking exceptional year round. They maintain over 50 ornamental garden beds, a culinary garden, herb garden, heated greenhouse, indoor plants, water features and more. Supporting the gardeners is a crew maintenance which handles tasks involving mechanized equipment like mowing and lawn maintenance, irrigation, hedge trimming, tree removal, etc., freeing gardeners to focus more on hand crafted, artistic designs.
This person will:
• Perform general horticultural duties such as the design, installation and care of garden displays and maintain site cleanliness within his or her assigned area, including mulching, weeding, watering, etc.
• Ensure walkways and patios are kept free from plant debris.
• Perform as needed a department support role, i.e. materials sourcing and group tour scheduling.
• Operate gardening tools including golf carts, blowers, push carts, and hand tools. Ensure that all applicable safety standards are followed.
• Help create and maintain displays for events like Halloween and the holidays.
• Interact daily with guests and visitors.
• Other tasks as needed.
They must be neat and clean in appearance and wear company-provided “Fearrington Gardens” t-shirts, sweat shirts and jackets. Jeans or other casual wear, and personal accessories, are permissible.
Education and Experience
• Associate or B.S. degree, preferably in horticulture or related field, with a minimum of 4 years of hands-on work experience in a public garden, plant nursery or private gardening setting.
• Strong knowledge of plant species that thrive in our area, and plant maintenance techniques.
• Must enjoy interacting and working in close proximity to general public, sharing information on subjects from plant identification to directions.
• Must be aware of inputs that can restrict gardening such as our various business hours, weather, presence of Inn guests, events on property, etc. and plan accordingly for safety and productivity.
• Ability to work outside, in various climate and weather conditions.
• Ability to perform heavy lifting up to 40 lbs.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
This is a full-time, year-round, hourly position, with work to be performed Monday through Friday. Benefits include health care coverage (medical, dental, vision), company paid long term and short term disability, participation in the company’s 401(k) retirement plan, and employee discounts.