Opportunities for fresh air and outdoor exercise abound near The Fearrington House Inn. Tour breath-taking gardens, spend a relaxing day at a nearby lake or park, or play a round of golf at one of the many exceptional links nearby. Our top pics include:
- Carolina Tiger Rescue (10 minutes from Fearrington). Located in Pittsboro, Carolina Tiger Rescue is a 55-acre educational facility and sanctuary for large cats and other species.
- Jordan Lake (15 minutes). With almost 14,000 acres of water, recreation possibilities at Jordan Lake are endless. Fishing, hiking, boating, water-skiing, swimming, volleyball and more are available at this popular destination.
- The North Carolina Zoo (80 minutes). Nationally recognized as one of the nation’s finest zoos, The North Carolina Zoo was the first American zoo designed with the philosophy of presenting animals and plants in exhibits that closely resemble their native habitats.
Carolina Tiger Rescue
If you’re a gardener, you’ll find several regionally important public gardens and arboretums that are an absolute delight to visit year round (including Fearrington’s gardens):
- Coker Arboretum (15 minutes). At the center of UNC, one of America’s most beautiful university campuses, lies this five acre, century old jewel.
- Sarah P. Duke Gardens (30 minutes). One of the premier public gardens in the U.S., occupying 55 acres in the heart of Duke University’s West Campus.
- J.C. Raulston Arboretum at N.C. State University (40 minutes). Features the most diverse collection of cold hardy temperate zone plants in the southeastern U.S., in a 10 acre garden.
And some of the nation’s best retail plant nurseries are right here, including Plant Delights, Camelia Forest and Niche Gardens.
UNC’s Coker Arboretum
Finally, Fearrington is convenient to some of North Carolina’s finest championship golf courses locally and in the Piedmont, including Pinehurst. Golf courses of note include:
- Finley Golf Course (15 minutes). The University of North Carolina’s Finley Golf Course is open year-round.
- The Preserve at Jordan Lake (15 minutes). This course features streams, hardwood forests, rock outcroppings and elevation changes that make you feel like you’re in the western part of the state. Open year-round.
- The Governor’s Club (10 minutes). This club is located within a private residential community, and offers 27 Championship holes designed by Jack Nicklaus. Elevation changes create dramatic shot values and panoramic views that make this course an unforgettable experience.
- Pinehurst (75 minutes). Ready for golf at America’s most famous golf course? Consistently ranked among the best in the world for golf, this easy day trip offers a wonderful spa, hotel and shopping too.