McIntyre’s Books staff put together a list of books that will not disappoint. These top ten must reads make fantastic gifts!
1. The Peripheral by William Gibson
The cyber-punk of early Gibson (Neuromancer) ages well in this novel of the near future and the consequences of progress.
2. Love & Treasure by Ayelet Waldman
A superb novel of a young woman and her search for the secrets that haunted her grandfather after WWII.
3. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
Whether you agree or not, this is the 2014 Pulitzer Prize winner for fiction. A definite conversation piece.
4. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandell
A very ambitious novel about a theatre troupe in the near future from a very talented young writer. Shortlisted for the National Book Award.
5. Nora Webster by Colm Toibin
Nora is a wounded, strong willed, woman clinging to secrecy in a tiny community where everyone knows your business. This wins McIntyre’s unofficial “Most Positive Customer Feedback” award for 2014.
6. On Immunity; An Inoculation by Eula Biss
A probing and unbiased exploration of the inoculation wars from an award winning essayist and new mother.
7. Untamed; The Wildest Woman in America and the Fight for Cumberland Island by Will Harlan
Read the prologue and you’ll be hooked.
8. The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace: A Brilliant Young Man Who Left Newark for the Ivy League by Jeff Teague
The story of a very smart young man who wasn’t able to reconcile the two very different sides of society between which he found himself.
9. The Sixth Extinction; An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert
A short history of the ages of extinction and their possible causes, including the sixth, happening now, in which humankind may be the greatest culprit.
10. Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
Another uplifting Christmas title. Argues for the inescapable realities of aging and death and how modern medicine often runs counter to what it should.